Friday, February 23, 2018

Tipping Cleaning Staff At Hotels

I read, awhile ago, that it was expected that hotel consumers leave tips for the hotel cleaning staff.  I had never heard of this before and, frankly, never thought about it.

I was out of town earlier this week and stayed 2 nights in a hotel for a business trip.  While at the hotel I remembered the article and decided to leave a $5 tip for the cleaning staff.  As I was only there for 2 nights I did not use or request any cleaning services (I kept the privacy sign on the door) I felt $5 was an appropriate amount    It felt nice to be able to do that (I will not be reimbursed for the tip) and not worry about whether I had enough money.  I also figured it would count towards my do something new every month goal!

What are your thoughts?  Do you leave tips for the cleaning staff at hotels?

10 comments:

  1. I've never given any thought to this. My Hubs stays in a lot of hotels (Marriots, Best Westerns, Holiday Inns, etc) and I honestly have no clue whether he tips or not. Hmm, something I'll need to ask him about. Now knowing this, I'd feel terrible if he wasn't tipping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this sort of thing comes with age and experience. When I was young(20's)I had no clue that tipping room maids was something you did....but then again, I didn't stay at hotels much. Then in my 30's I had small children and couldn't travel. lolz
    Hubs and I always leave the maid a tip unless the room is not cleaned well(or has little evidence that it was). We've stayed at motels with shabby furnishings(towels with threads hanging off them there were more threads than towel(lol!)or burned carpeting or holey sheets. These sort of things don't impact the tip as they are management's problem to address.
    Our standard amount is $2 per night unless we have 2 beds and use both. Stellar service gets double that(but it's rarely given out unfortunately).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your tipping method, I might steal that and use it going forward. I hate that it took me so long to learn this!

      Delete
  3. I travel on occasion for work. A long time ago one of my co-workers schooled me on how to tip while traveling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish someone had told me, I had no idea! Now I feel bad for not tipping for so long.

      Delete
  4. I always tip - usually $1-2 per night unless the room is dirty. I have no idea what is standard, I just feel that hotel housekeeping is hard work and badly paid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to start tipping around that same amount. I feel terrible for not tipping for so long!

      Delete
  5. Rarely comment. I try real hard but I am NOT a cash person. most but not all hotels let me add it to the card, thankfully. I literally do everything with a card, which came back to make me feel guilty when I saw the cute brownies coming out of the grocery. I need to start keeping Some fives and ones in the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I didn’t know u could add the tip to the bill?? Good information to know. I definitely need to keep more cash on me!

      Delete