Sunday, July 31, 2016

What??? And a proposition.

It's the end of July.  Where has this month gone?  It has literally flown by! I have been working so much this month.  I have worked almost every weekend and I am starting to feel the exhaustion.  I think I have completed most of the time sensitive work and I should be able to finally stop working weekends. 

I don't recall if I mentioned it on the blog, but over the past 2 years or so, the firm has lost many staff members. Many of them have not been replaced or if they have been replaced it has taken 9 months or more to replace that person. During the down times, I have picked up a good bit of the slack.  Recently, again the firm is down several billable employees. My guess is that those employees will not be replaced before the end of the year.  With that, I am expecting to have to again help pick up the slack.  I don't mind helping to pick up the slack, but I also don't believe that I should have to give up my weekends in order to assist the firm for failing to hire new employees.

So I think I want to propose to my employer a financial arrangement.  I will do my regular 40+ hours a week for my regular work on the cases assigned to me.  Anything extra for cases not assigned to me should result in additional compensation.   I think it's only fair to receive compensation for working 40+ hours a week on work that generally would be assigned to another employee who would be paid to complete the work.  I don't want to sound or come off as greedy or not a team player, but I think this would be a fair arrangement.  What do you guys think?  Is this a bad idea?  How would you approach the situation?

1 comment:

  1. I think this is very fair. I'm on commission so when I work harder, I make more money. Without the additional money, I would lose motivation at a certain point.

    ReplyDelete