Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Car Repairs and Maintenance $$$$$$

I had to take my 12 year old car in for maintenance this weekend and boy it was expensive, to the tune of $1,302.  I had an oil change, new spark plugs, rotation, all sorts of fluids flushed, etc.  Don't let anyone ever tell you that aging cars are not expensive to maintain.  Vehicles are costly little buggers.  However, I looked through my old service records and I don't think I've ever had the spark plugs replaced on that vehicle (which now has over 120,000 miles on it).

I plan to pay for the maintenance/repair work out my 4/1518 paycheck which means less will go towards retirement than planned.  I'm okay with that though, because I'd rather have one expensive car repair/maintenance bill  a year over $6,000 in new car payments for the year.  I'm off to work.  Have a great Tuesday!

7 comments:

  1. Ouch, but you are right in it still being cheaper than a car payment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it certainly hurt, more so because I didn't have $1,300 saved for a car repair! I just hope this car lasts for another 2 to 3 years so I can save up even more money for a replacement car.

      Delete
  2. I would agree, car payments are so much more expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cars are so expensive all together. The cost for new brakes, new tires, oil changes, etc all add up. But I do think it's cheaper to buy a good car from the start and keep it as long as you can so you don't have to add car payments into the mix (plus interest).

      Delete
  3. This reminds me that I need to figure out how to pay for car repairs going forward in retirement. Our cars are newish(2014)but will begin to need more than just reg. maintenance things soon. We tend to drive our cars into the ground so I don't foresee us replacing them anytime soon but the repair bills will start up over the next few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Car repairs are so ridiculously expensive. Is your hubby handy? Could he do the oil changes himself now that he is retired? I intend to drive this car as long as I can. I hope to get 2 to 3 more years out of it.

      Delete
  4. Thank You for sharing your article, This is an interesting & informative blog. It is very useful for the developer like me.

    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete