Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Car Shopping Adventures








I have a car that is 13 to 14 years old.  It is starting to have some issues here and there so I am thinking about replacing it.  Since I have kept my car for so long, I plan to buy a brand new car, again (I can hear the gasps from the personal finance community, but I don't care.)

I was hoping to take advantage of some of the year end deals, but nothing is interesting to me.  I have researched and researched and I cannot find a car that I WANT to buy.  I have test driven an Acura MDX, a Honda Pilot and a Volvo XC60.  I am thinking about  test driving a mazda CX9.  Everything is expensive and nothing appeals to me. Also, why are cars so expensive?

The Honda Pilot looks like a van now. It's weird. I did like the Honda Passport, but no Passports were on the lot.  The MDX is pretty expensive with no real added features.  I can get a fully loaded Honda for the same price without paying for the Acura name.  The XC60 is expensive and I can get the standard features in another car for less money.  Volvo also has not done well in reliability ratings, but does extremely well in safety testing.  However, I want a car that does both!  I plan to keep this new car for at least 10 years.


I love my Toyota, but I hate the Toyota dealership in my town.  That makes me not want to buy a toyota and give money to a company that is pretty awful over all  (including scratching cars while doing service work and lying about it, charging for work not actually done, leaving the oil change light on rather than resetting it, stating that they did free things that they did not actually do, e.g, topping off liquids, performing shoddy work like brake work and not properly tightening things so that brake fluid leaked and ruined a wheel, etc.).

I would like a mid size SUV which will hold all of my boxes, binders, carts, etc when I travel for trials, depositions and hearings.  I would like all of the safety features (lane keeping assist, collision mitigation, etc.) and AWD (only for the extra traction for driving in the rain while tired).  I want all of these features because if and only if things go according to plan, I will drive this vehicle for 10 to 15 years. I want to buy a decent car that I wont regret buying after 5 years.

Car shopping sucks.  I may give up and try again in 6 months.

7 comments:

  1. I would have you look at the Subaru Forester. Amazing safety rating, beautiful, not too big not too small and so comfortable. Price probably less than those others. I'm in Minnesota and this car will drive through anything! (I have a 2007 that I love and would die for a new one ha!) I think these are known for longevity also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second checking out a Subaru, but would suggest an Outback for added size.

      Delete
    2. I know someone that just bought a new Subaru and she loves it. She wants me to buy one too. It is my second choice at the moment. Mostly because of the safety options and it's the right price.

      Delete
    3. I would at least test drive one, which ever model you thought would be best.

      Delete
  2. Waiting six months sounds like a good plan if your current car is running ok...would give you time to add some more $ to your car replacement fund too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda feel like I keep putting off buying a new car because I am cheap. I did find a car I liked, but could not find one with the options I wanted. I currently have about $25,000 to put down on a new car between my savings and trade in value for my old car.

      Delete
  3. I can completely relate with you here. I will need a new car by the end of 2020 and there is nothing that appeals to me. I also want a mid-size sedan, such as the Passport or new Blazer, but I hate the costs of those. I love a lot of what Chevy is putting on the market, but I worry about the reliability over 10-15 years. Not a fan of Toyota, though I know they are great cars, and I'm too nervous to settle for something like a Kia or Hyundai, even though they have better reviews than they used to. What a predicament!

    I am excited to see what you end up buying for yourself.

    ReplyDelete