Monday, July 28, 2014

Talk with the Boss

Over the last few weeks my boss has had a poor attitude directed towards me.  Through email and during telephone calls my boss has spoken to me sharply, was curt and utilized a negative tone.   As with any employee, I had become increasingly frustrated, upset and worried about my employment.  I waited and waited for him to come into the office so that I could speak to him in person about the problem.  As noted in my previous post, he did not come into the office for 3 weeks.  I finally got to the point where I could no longer deal with the frustration.  I was lashing out at him as harshly as he was lashing out at me and, of course, it left me feeling even more miserable.  Finally, I sent him an email and I told him that I needed to talk to him and to call me when he had some free time.  The next day he did.  I asked him if he was having a problem with me and he denied it.  I expressed to him that he had been very negative towards me and I did not appreciate the behavior, he denied any knowledge of any negativity.  He did not ask for any examples or specific incidents.  The conversation left me feeling frustrated.  I did not get to speak with him about everything because he expressed total shock and awe that he was being rude, diminishing my morale and intimating that I wasn't doing my job well.  He stated that I was doing excellent work and performing extraordinarily.  He stated that his sister and his friend had recently told him about his behavior as well and he was equally shocked at their comments.  He is in his 60s and I have no doubt that people have told him about his behavior and attitude many times over the years.  In fact, I know for certain that several people have (many of the staff in the other office have been around for over 10 years).  I feel miserable, angry, used and abused.  All of this recent frustration is dredging up other incidents where I felt I was treated unfairly.  A few months ago the firm billable hour report came out, I was the second highest biller (just under the partner in the south Florida office).  I also often cover hearings, depositions, etc. for the partner and 2 associates in the south Florida office.  At this point I am doing all of the appellate work for the firm for both offices.  No one has ever covered anything for me because I plan my schedule accordingly.  I don't enjoy any special benefits for producing more than any other associate or taking on extra work.  It's starting to rub me the wrong way because I'm doing more, but everyone is receiving the same benefits, i.e., we all get a Christmas bonus.  When I got a raise all of the other employees received the same 10% raise.  I have no incentive to continue performing at a high level because I am learning that people who are doing the bare minimum are getting the same as or more than me.  I think I've made up my mind that it's time for me to leave. 

No comments:

Post a Comment