Thursday, July 24, 2014

Travel Fund

Today I cashed out my cash back rewards on my Capital One Quicksilver, well only $100 worth.  I decided to do this so I could get the emergency fund in my checking account up to an even $10,000.  The remainder of the cash will fund the initial amount needed to start a travel fund.  The travel fund will be used to cash flow my travel for work without cutting into my monthly budget.  For example, I have to travel at the beginning of August to a town about 2.5 hours away by car I will use the cash from travel fund for the cost of gas back and forth.  It will cost me about $70 out of pocket for the travel.  Once I get the travel voucher reimbursed, probably not until October or November, I will deposit it into the travel account for the next trip.  I think I will try to keep the travel fund around $500, any reimbursed money over that amount I will add to savings or pay down on my student loan. 

By way of an aside, I have to rant about the travel voucher reimbursement at my firm.  It takes about 2.5 to 3 months for the firm to reimburse for travel expenses.  It's ridiculous, really.  There are only 5 attorneys at the firm.  The partners (2) have firm credit cards that get paid off every month by the firm.  I would like to talk to my boss about a 30 day turn around, but he never comes into work. Seriously, he did not come into the office for 3 weeks. He then came in for like 2 hours and left again.  I'm really frustrated with the situation.  (I spoke to him briefly about his attitude (on the phone because he won't come into work), I'll blog about that later in separate post.)

1 comment:

  1. WOW! That is a LONG time to wait for reimbursement. My husband has to wait 2 pay periods, but that is usually less than a month.

    Good idea having a slush fund for it. Otherwise you might have interest charges on your card waiting for the funds to come through.

    ReplyDelete