Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Ethical Dilemma

Contrary to my previous thoughts, the partner is the Central/South Florida office was not fully aware of the disruption going on in the North Florida office.  So I told her.  I told her about how for the past year my boss (her partner) has not being coming into the office, not working when he did come in and how he was not interested in the firm or litigating the cases that we have. I explained to her our lack of cases and the staffs' fear of job loss.  She likes me and values me as an employee, she wants to work with me to attempt to move things forward.  I don't know if I am interested, but I did not say that to her. She is already taking steps to move forward.

This weekend I came across a job listing for which I am qualified.  I would have a great shot at landing the job.  I should definitely get an interview (as long as I don't have any major errors on my application, etc.). There are several women lawyers at the firm. but no racial minorities.  Nonetheless, I think I have a shot at this job. 

That being said, I don't know what to do at this point.  Would it be unethical for me to apply for this job after speaking to management at my current firm who wants to make things work?  My fear is that at the current firm, she won't be able to make things work and I end up jobless because they can't meet payroll. Then I will be pissed because I passed up this opportunity to work at a larger more stable firm.  Also, if I apply at this other job, I would likely be able to negotiate a pay raise of at least $10,000 a year.  At my current firm, it's been over 2 years since my last pay raise and I am doubtful that I will get a raise anytime soon despite my increased work load. If anything, my boss' assistant will get another raise. 

I want to talk to the partner in the Central/South Florida office and tell her my thoughts, but I don't know how to broach the issue with her again (she brought it up last time).  If nothing else, I feel like I should at least give her warning that I plan to look for a new job- since she is now involved in the situation. 

What should I do? Any advice?

Saturday, March 7, 2015

Travel expenses for work- the Road warrior Edition

So as I previously blogged about before, the associate in the Central/South Florida office is off on maternity leave.  We have just learned that she will not be returning to the office after her maternity leave, it is not expected that she will be replaced.  (More on this subject in another post).  That leaves me as the only associate for 2 offices.  I am becoming a road warrior.  I had 1 trip in February, 3 in March (1 has been completed 2 more pending), and 3 in April.  Out of these trips 2 will be overnight trips.  I expect several more of these trips to get scheduled.

I generally have to travel a bit for work maybe 9 trips a year.  (This does not include day trips to the surrounding cities for small activities.) At this rate, I am scheduled to have about 40 trips this year.  I don't mind traveling for work.  But,again, I hate the extended reimbursements for travel- it takes about 3 months to receive a check.  This is problematic- with all of these trips, I will have to spend approximately, $1,250 total for meals, hotels and gas.  I will likely have to have an oil change sooner than I will receive my reimbursement. I will receive about $2,000 in reimbursements due to the 2015 mileage rate. 

$1,250 is significant amount of money for me to spend.  I only had about $550 in my travel fund and it is quickly dwindling, so the rest will have to come out of my monthly budget.  I am becoming extremely frustrated with this process.  My boss is so disinterested in the firm, I know I will not be able to get him to do anything other than say he will have to talk to the administrator about the problem. I would like to talk to the partner in the Central/South Florida office, but I don't want to bother her with petty things since she is so busy by herself right now.

I am also involved in an ethical dilemma with regard to quitting the firm, but I will save that issue for my next post. 

Lord, give me strength.