Saturday, March 7, 2015

Travel expenses for work- the Road warrior Edition

So as I previously blogged about before, the associate in the Central/South Florida office is off on maternity leave.  We have just learned that she will not be returning to the office after her maternity leave, it is not expected that she will be replaced.  (More on this subject in another post).  That leaves me as the only associate for 2 offices.  I am becoming a road warrior.  I had 1 trip in February, 3 in March (1 has been completed 2 more pending), and 3 in April.  Out of these trips 2 will be overnight trips.  I expect several more of these trips to get scheduled.

I generally have to travel a bit for work maybe 9 trips a year.  (This does not include day trips to the surrounding cities for small activities.) At this rate, I am scheduled to have about 40 trips this year.  I don't mind traveling for work.  But,again, I hate the extended reimbursements for travel- it takes about 3 months to receive a check.  This is problematic- with all of these trips, I will have to spend approximately, $1,250 total for meals, hotels and gas.  I will likely have to have an oil change sooner than I will receive my reimbursement. I will receive about $2,000 in reimbursements due to the 2015 mileage rate. 

$1,250 is significant amount of money for me to spend.  I only had about $550 in my travel fund and it is quickly dwindling, so the rest will have to come out of my monthly budget.  I am becoming extremely frustrated with this process.  My boss is so disinterested in the firm, I know I will not be able to get him to do anything other than say he will have to talk to the administrator about the problem. I would like to talk to the partner in the Central/South Florida office, but I don't want to bother her with petty things since she is so busy by herself right now.

I am also involved in an ethical dilemma with regard to quitting the firm, but I will save that issue for my next post. 

Lord, give me strength. 

No comments:

Post a Comment