Monday, December 11, 2017

Financial Planning 2018- Charitable Giving

I have been working on my financial goals for 2018 and I plan on increasing (as I do every year) my charitable contributions.  I generally give to a legal aid charity and my law school.  This year I also donated to the victims of Hurricane Harvey through the American Bar Association.  I also often donate clothes and household items to Goodwill.  

Looking forward to 2018 I think I would like to add the American Cancer Society and St. Jude's to my list.  I also want to donate my time to help others.  Do you have any favorite charities that you like to donate to every year?  Are there any charities that I should stay away from? 

4 comments:

  1. Not sure if this is relevant, but my giving has become more local over the years. I used to give a little to a broad array of large organizations; now I give larger amounts to smaller groups in my area that I am more familiar with. I am somewhat put off by large organizations that obviously spend a HUGE amount on fundraising.
    Having said that, I do like Doctors Without Borders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's a good idea. I do tend to worry that my donations are not going to actually help the people in need.

      Delete
  2. We give to our local church and also participate in things like Project Angel Tree. I also like the Salvation Army as very little of what they take in is used for over-head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea that the Salvation Army was so good about giving to the people in need! I will check into that for 2018.

      Delete