Sunday, February 9, 2014

Work Status

Okay, okay so I have been a lazy bum and I have not applied for any new jobs.  I think today, I will work on updating my resume. I'm so unhappy at work sometimes I really cannot stand it.  My boss never comes into the office, but constantly calls (at 5:15p.m.) with last minutes projects (that he has known about for weeks) that must be completed that moment.  So much time is spent preparing him for events and he never reviews any of the voluminous documents that are culled together for him.  Then he complains that something that was prepared for him, was not prepared for him, so you end up doing something for him that someone else has already done.  He is subject to emotional tantrums (he is in his mid 60s) he had a major one last week.  He was so angry he couldn't come into the office for 3 days.  This was all over the way that the document was transmitted to a client.  Believe me, that's not unusual for him, he was so pissy to ME once because his assistant sent him a document as a pdf and not a word document. It's very frustrating because I never know what is going to set him off.

He, again, is encouraging his assistant to not to come into the office which is a real problem because she is also the office manager.  I think she was off more than she came in, in January.  That was exacerbated by the fact that she took several last minute half days in December when her step kids were home for winter break.  Her work product is slipping she is not calendaring things that need to go out.  In Florida, everything is electronic now re: court pleadings, discovery, etc.  It is her responsibility to save these documents into the shared drive.  So much stuff is missing, this is due to the fact that she leaves work early, takes several days off and claims to be sick so often.  I don't think she's worked a full week this year yet.  All of her work is falling on other people to take care of.  My boss does not realize the problem because he is never in the office to see her absence and its effects.  To top all of this off, she has requested one full vacation week in May (knowing full well she will be off in March to watch her step kids on spring break) and one full vacation week in August (to go visit her parents).  My boss is giving her extra vacations and extra sick days to which no one else is entitled.  Why can't there be rules and someone to enforce the rules.  I definitely want a boss who has compassion, but not like this.  I think the problem is he is a master manipulator, but he is also a master at being manipulated.

I really am perplexed at what to do about this situation.  I cannot keep being responsible for opening the office when she decides not to come in for the day.  I cannot keep being responsible for manning the telephones when she's out claiming to be sick.  I need someone I can count on to calendar due dates for documents. I feel as though the entire operation of the firm is falling on me.  My boss is completely unaware of when things are due and I have no back up, if I miss something no one will recognize it until it's too late.  Geez, I can't even count on having someone present to finalize and file documents on any given day. It's complete chaos and disorganization. 

No comments:

Post a Comment